Friday 17 April 2020

Thoughts for this time from Roger

I must admit that on entering the corona virus lockdown I was very apprehensive.  I became extremely aware, even anxious, of how much buzz and inspiration I get from relating to people and occasions, and how much I miss being with friends and family.  I’ve never been an 'ivory tower' composer who writes for the sake of writing, I’ve always had an end-user in mind.  I started writing for my own school choir, with their gifts, abilities, and an eventual performance in my sights.  This continued into full-time music ministry with our area choirs, soloists, etc, all of whom I envisaged when creating.  Like composing a sermon, you do it with the main aim of connecting with and involving your listeners.

So, how am I coping with isolation? Honestly, there are times when it seemed quite hard, especially at the beginning, but other outlets have appeared, and I am so grateful for technology that allows us to 'Zoom' and 'Skype' around the world!  In this way we’ve spent good times with our loved ones, really appreciating the communication, and especially being able to see them.  In some ways I’m quite enjoying it, although I know there are many others who don’t have such outlets and connections.

Domestically, the lawn is looking better than ever, jobs around the house are getting done, and Mary and I enjoy our daily walk to the park.  Poppy is delighted!  A dear squirrel has eaten its way into my garden shed, set up a nest and caused the shed to lean awkwardly.  I don’t yet know how I’m going to deal with that!

It’s been thrilling to see the explosion of Christian worship, services and events filling the social media. Huge creativity has been released as Christians begin to occupy the internet.  The church is far from being in lockdown, almost too much to take in.  But that’s how I feel each year at SPRING HARVEST - you just take in what you can – but just don’t waste the opportunity!  (I do recommend the YouTube sessions – especially Bishop Jill Duff’s opening address, which sums up all that CMM is about!)

HEART & SOUL continues every Wednesday at 6-8pm on www.brumsideradio.com, each show created remotely.  I volunteered the station a “Thought for the Day” during Holy Week (8 Talks!) and what a tall order that was – every day having to write out my thoughts before recording!  But that got me into creative mode which has included prose and music.  It’s been a long time since I spent so much time writing.  I don’t think I’m expecting a musical to appear, although I am in the process of writing four songs: two for Easter, a healing song and a Christmas carol, so we’ll see where all that leads!

Annie Routley recorded a specially edited version of our musical MARY MAGDALENE that was broadcast this week.  You can catch-up on https://www.mixcloud.com/BrumsideRadio/heart-soul-15-april-2020/.  We’ve made a special offer of this musical:  Music Book & CD for £15 (+ p&p).  Oh, and Mary and I are fulfilling orders ourselves, another extra job!  (Amy, Annie, Helen and Tim are working from home - when they can!)

Life is precious, our relationships are precious, and it’s all so very fragile - each conversation and interaction something to cherish.  I’m sure we all know of someone who has died during this time, some close to us, and that really brings it home.  But amidst all the sadness and disruption, we have that something extra, something that makes the biggest difference in life: we do know where it is all going to conclude.  Read the end of the New Testament - it’s so exciting!  All will be well!  Meanwhile we have this marvellous hope:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (Romans 8:38-39)

Keep in touch, we love to hear from you.  Keep safe, and most of all, keep close to him!
Roger

No comments: