Wednesday 6 March 2019

The intern's tale part 6 - February 2019


Hiya folks!

Yet another month has passed and it’s time again for me to tell you what I’ve been getting up to.

Singing alto at CMM Choir
February has been a bit of a mixed month. A few new challenges tackled and a well needed week off.  I have started to arrange music for myself for flute and clarinet for productions of From Pharaoh to Freedom with CMM Choir. It’s always hard knowing what to play and on which instrument. I am singing in the alto section this year for choir as it’s a chance for me to do something different, I’m enjoying it very much.

As this new year started, Roger said that he would like me to give one of the talks during the choir rehearsal. I have written it this last week with Helen's help, as I have not done this before and talking in front of adults is not one of my strong suits. Children I’m okay with, but adults make me very nervous. I found it quite hard to write but I think it will help myself and others as it includes a personal story to help explain things. It is a way to express to people just how much the Lord has helped me and shown me I can do everything through him.

Also, this month I led a worship block on the Spirit Works event in High Bentham. I was very nervous, as I am used to playing up at the front of church with Roger and the team, but not leading. I quite happily hide behind my flute when I’m at the front. So for this I planned what songs I wanted to do, my prayer and a short verse from the Bible. I kept it simple, keeping to songs that they would know so it would be more relaxing for myself and the congregation. I got up at the front and I felt so confident, the Holy Spirit was certainly with me. I had been so nervous but when it came to it, it was like I’d done it hundreds of times and I wasn’t nervous anymore, I sang with God and He gave me all the strength I needed to do it. I am very pleased with how it went.

I am still working on the Pharisee promotional video for CMM.  This month I finished the music compilation, cutting snippets from 18 songs down to just over 7 minutes. I now just need to sort out the pictures for the video and try and get the timing right (which for a perfectionist is a difficult hah...).

Before we had our half term holiday, I had to go on a teacher training day with the school I’m with. Even as a volunteer, I knew it would be a good day to learn more about classroom management and to hear how the trainer explains things. I learnt a lot from the day, and it was good just to spend some time with the teachers talking about going into primary school teaching. I have completed the application now and I just need to do the final edits to my personal statement then I will send it off. I'm terrified! I stress about interviews, so there’s a lot of prep and homework to be done.

On the beach in Kent
As it was half term, I took the chance to take a holiday. I did a bit of a tour of the country in the end; I originally planned to go down to Kent to visit a good friend for a week and then come back, but unfortunately, after my week in Kent I had to attend a funeral of a close friend I lived with a few years ago from Cumbria. My week in Kent was the hottest holiday I think I’ve ever had in February. I relaxed on the beach with a book, had a few walks, ate from the chippy on the beach on my last day - it was the most relaxed holiday I’ve been on for a long time! Just what I needed to recharge my batteries.

I travelled up to Cumbria from Kent which was a very long journey, and the funeral the next day went as well as it could do.  It was one of the hardest I’ve had to attend but as he loved the Lord, he is resting with the Lord and at peace. I was able to spend some time with our friendship group which was important for me to be able to do as when I'm in Birmingham it’s hard to see them.

From there I travelled to Manchester to go and see Les Misérables which was phenomenal.  It is one of the only shows you can see with a cold and people don’t mind because they just think you’re crying haha. It was also good to catch up with friends in Manchester that I haven’t seen for a while. We did lots and lots of walking, and it was nice to have a shopping/explorer day 😊.

Now I’m back in Birmingham, it’s back to the real world of work and I’m ready to get stuck into this month! Batteries charged and ready to go 😊.

I hope you all have a good month and know the Lord is always by your side.
God bless,
Gemma xx

No comments: